Jan. 24, 2017
BY Les Tapolczai
If HBO’s Westworld has taught us anything, it’s that the world is a better place with robots. Absolutely nothing could go wrong with lots of robots hanging around and interacting with humans. Okay what else can we look forward to?
1. Messaging – As consumer use of platforms like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and Kik continue to grow, look for brands to integrate these platforms beyond basic customer service functionality. By adding ecommerce back-ends and Artificial Intelligence (AI) through chatbots, brands will be able to deliver personalized messages and offer direct product purchase.
2. Voice Search – With voice searches on mobile phones and now the addition of personal assistants like Google Home and Amazon Echo, voice queries are poised to be the next big disrupter for marketers. Understanding how consumers are using voice search will enable better brand experiences.
3. Micro Influencers – With larger brand-focused influencers losing some of their luster to aware consumers, we think brands will be looking to trade the reach of celebrity influencers for the authenticity of smaller advocate influencers
4. Social Commerce – As social platforms continue to become walled gardens, they will evolve shopping experiences by integrating ecommerce functionality directly into their feeds instead of sending them to brand websites - removing yet another step from the purchase funnel.
5. Immersive Experiences – The popularity of Pokémon Go proved that there is an appetite of immersive experiences from Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality platforms.
As VR technologies like Oculus Rift or HTC Vive hit the marketplace, we see even more opportunities for brands to connect with consumers in unique and interactive ways.
While 2017 might not be the year of Anthony Hopkins’ robot overlords, there’s still lots to look forward to. Especially opportunities for brands to create intriguing and effective consumer experiences.